Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Moments In Between

Welcome to the Simply Living Blog Carnival cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children, Laura at Authentic Parenting, Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy, and Joella at Fine and Fair. Continue your reading read on at the bottom of this post by clicking the links to the other participants' posts.

***


During my yoga practice this evening, my teacher instructed us to pause in between the poses and notice. She encouraged us to focus our attention on the physical effects and subtle energy shifts within our bodies as a result of the previous pose. As I quieted my mind, I was aware of how I felt energized in some areas, yet strained or tired in others. After each pose or breathing exercise, the energy and sensations were in different areas of my body. It was a different practice than if I were just going through the motions until my favorite pose (savasana relaxation, of course!) or focusing on my breath as I flowed through the poses. It felt deeper...more transformative.

In parenting, one can get caught up in a 'highlights' method of paying attention. Wow, she just smiled for the first time! When should we start solid food? I think she just said "Mama"! I can't believe it's his first day of school! Although these 'firsts' and major milestones are important, I believe it is the moments in between that orchestrate the symphony of relationship between parent and child. By simply drawing your awareness fully to ordinary moments, they can become extraordinary. The feel of his cheek resting on your chest. The smell of her hair and skin after a bath. The sound of his laughter. The sight of her bed-head, sleepy-eyed yawn upon waking. These things happen day in and day out. Going without notice, they can be a background noise to your life. But if you turn your attention to those moments...those every day moments which mean nothing, yet at the same time mean the world...your relationship can transform into a deep, beautiful harmony and rhythm which flows throughout your days.

Ordinary moments turn to magic given the right focus...

Namaste~
Amber
***
Thank you for visiting the Simply Living Blog Carnival cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children, Laura at Authentic Parenting, Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy, and Joella at Fine and Fair. Continue your reading by clicking the links of this month's posts on what simple living means to our participants. We hope you will join us next month, as we discuss new beginnings!

  • The Moments In Between - Amber from Heart Wanderings takes her yoga practice off the mat to focus on the ordinary moments which make mothering magical.
  • Simple living - what it looks like to me - Does simple living mean we have to be selfish? And what does selfish mean anyway? Mrs Green from Little Green Blog ponders in search of a more simple life...
  • A Simple Life is a Peaceful Life, For Me - Destany at They Are All of Me writes how simplicity is a very necessary part of her daily function and crucial for coping with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.
  • Getting Back to the Basics - Minimalism was the first step toward living simply for Momma Jorje. Now she's got big plans on getting back to the basics of living in order to live a simple, healthy, family-focused lifestyle.
  • Simplicity - What living simply means to sustainablemum and how it is woven into the fabric of daily life.
  • Simply Living - Sophelia of Sophelia's Adventures in Japan writes about her reluctance to tighten her budget after years of living in poverty, but also her anticipation of the pleasures of simplifying her daily life as she and her husband prepare to adopt a child in Japan. 
  • The Simple Life: A Work in Progress - Joella at Fine and Fair ponders her idealized vision of simple living and discusses the steps she's taking to get closer to it. 
  • Simple Living is Simply Living - At Living Peacefully with Children, Bart and Mandy hope to help their children focus on what is truly important by simply living.
  • Happiness, not Greatness - Lauren at Hobo Mama discovered that ambitions got in the way of simply being.
  • Shifting to Simplicity - At Authentic Parenting, Laura shares a couple of ways in which she tries to simplify her life.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely words, thank you for sharing. You are right sometimes the small things that seems unimportant and insignificant are the most important and significant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love your comment about the ordinary becoming extraordinary! I try to remind myself to enjoy the moment. Right now I am working at taking time each day to just "experience" without multitasking. It's easy to get caught up with business and then find that we aren't really living. I hope you'll join us for net month's Simply Living Blog Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true... quite similarly, I have recently internationalized my efforts to enjoy the little moments and be present with each of my kids every day. I think I did it before, but being intentional about it makes me not forget to touch in with them and let go of everything else, at least for a couple of moments every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully written and something that I aspire to greatly. in the moment there is no fear, no anticipation, no worries - it's all that there is and those moments can become such a profound and nourishing experience. I'm not very good at it, but I do get there from time to time - thanks for the reminder to keep looking at the spaces between the thoughts ...

    BWs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this makes my heart smile. <3 As I prepare for the birth of my second child, I have been more intentionally mindful of the every day ordinary moments with my daughter, and it has made a noticeable difference in our closeness and expressions of affection for each other. I hope I can keep it up with her after brother is born, and with him as he grows all too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are currently trying to adopt a child, and we spend every weekend volunteering at a local orphanage. When you don't have a child but long for one, these little moments are the things that seem the most important~ I'm not looking forward to milestones so much as just holding a child close and breathing in their smell.

    ReplyDelete